Are you ready to try something new, exciting and fun?
Our SUP Yoga classes will leave you feeling full of energy, inspired and invigorated.
You’ll stretch your body, challenge your balance, breathe deeply and relax completely. Plus you’ll smile, laugh and make a few big splashes as you try this revitalising, exciting and totally unique style of yoga.
And NO, you don’t have to be an advanced yogi or experienced stand up paddle boarder, we’ll teach you everything you need to know.
So, what exactly is SUP Yoga?
Stand Up Paddle Board Yoga, or SUP Yoga for short, is a yoga class that takes place on a Stand Up Paddle Board (think giant surf board) on the water. It will challenge your balance, increase your flexibility and strengthen and tone all your muscles. By the end you will be deeply relaxed and feel full of life!
Amazing sup yoga lesson ! Really relaxing and good fun ! Jen is such a lovely instructor , made you feel at ease straight away , will be booking more for August. Thank you for a great experience ! X Vicky
Here’s what you’ll get from a SUP Yoga class:
- A total body workout. You’ll feel all your muscles work as you hold poses on your SUP board. You’ll develop incredible core strength and don’t be surprised if your legs and arms are a little shaky by the end. The instability of the board on water means you get a really strengthening and toning yoga practice. If you’re not keen on exercise don’t worry this feels like fun not hard work!
- Deep relaxation. The beautiful, natural surroundings, sunshine and the sound of the water lapping against your board all lead you to a deeper sense of stillness and total relaxation.
- Great fun. You’ll wobble on your board, you’ll fall in the water and you’ll make a big splash which means you’ll laugh, you’ll have great fun and you’ll learn to let go. It’s not about perfection its about enjoying yourself!
- A feel-good challenge. You’ll try something new and step outside of your comfort zone. You’ll discover a whole new side to your yoga practice and feel challenged, invigorated and so good about yourself.
- New friends. Meet other adventurous, fun and water loving SUP Yogis. Cheer them on as they try their first crow pose and encourage them as they climb back on their board after falling in. After class stay for a cup of tea in the little lakeside cafe and have a good chat.
- Focus. You’ll have to concentrate like crazy to balance in standing poses and inversions like headstand so you’ll develop total focus and stay present.
- Great stories and pictures. Your friends and family will be amazed when you tell them about your SUP Yoga class. You’ll get some incredible pictures to share with them and show everyone what a brave yogi you are!
SUP yoga is brilliant fun – totally recommended. Stithians Lake is a super location too especially if, like me, you’re not a huge fan of the sea (and everything in it!) Thanks Jen, I’ll definitely be back after my summer hols. Jo
Is SUP Yoga right for you?
- Do you have a sense of fun and a willingness to get wet?
- Do you love trying new things and challenging yourself?
- Do you want to make new friends, share a laugh and cheer them on as they try their first headstand!?
- Do you want to increase your strength, improve your yoga practice and feel fantastic?
If you don’t want to get your hair wet, if you hate trying new things, if you don’t want to meet new people and would much rather sit on the sofa watching telly then stand up paddle board yoga is not for you!
Your Teacher – Jennifer Austin
Jen’s mission is to help you to feel fantastic and shine your brightest. She’s the founder of Shine Yoga, she introduced Stand Up Paddle Board Yoga to Cornwall and has been featured on BBC News. She’s a qualified yoga teacher, keen surfer and all round water lover. All her yoga classes on and off the water are accessible, relaxed and fun. She’ll encourage you to be courageous, challenge yourself and laugh lots!
The What, Where and When
Classes have finished for this summer. Make sure you are signed up to the Shine Yoga newsletter (join at the top of the page) to be the first to get details of our new classes in 2017.
Had an amazing SUP class on Sunday. Being on the water surrounded by nature was so relaxing. Falling in a few times was pretty fun too! Chloe
What exactly is a stand up paddle board?
A stand up paddle board (or SUP) is like a giant surf board, around 10 foot long they are very stable. You stand up on them and use a paddle to manoeuvre through the water. In our SUP Yoga classes they act like a floating yoga mat. The boards are firmly anchored during the class so you won’t move around too much or float away.
I have never been on a stand up paddle board before, is that ok?
Absolutely! You don’t need to have been on a stand up paddle board before to be able to take part in the class. The boards are securely anchored and easy to get on to from the shore. After the yoga class has finished you will have the opportunity to take the boards for a paddle in the safe lake surroundings if you wish but you don’t have to if you don’t feel confident.
I have never practiced yoga before and I’m not very flexible or strong, will it be too difficult for me?
Not at all, we have plenty of people who have never tried yoga before join a class. There are options for every level and you will have loads of fun and challenge yourself to your own ability whether you are an advanced yogi or a total beginner. You can rest whenever you need to, sitting or lying on the board is really easy and so relaxing.
Do I need my own stand up paddle board or wetsuit?
You don’t need any equipment at all, and we supply everyone with boards and paddles, but if you do have your own wetsuit we recommend wearing this.
Can I come on my own?
Of course you can, many people choose to attend the class independently and there is a friendly, fun and supportive atmosphere. You’ll have a great time and meet some like minded new friends.
Can I bring my family/friends to watch?
Definitely, bring them along to watch and take photos of you in your first SUP headstand!
What if I fall in?
I went to my first SUP yoga class last weekend and really enjoyed it. Jen is a great enthusiastic instructor. I was prepared to get totally soaked so was surprised at how dry I was at the end! I will definitely be going again.
Great! That’s all part of the fun. Don’t worry about falling in. You will be in calm waters and will easily be able to get back on to your board and try again.
Yes but what if I just fall in all the time and can’t balance at all?
You won’t! You really will be surprised at how stable the stand up paddle boards are. Yes falling in is all part of the fun but you might shock yourself at how steady and stable you feel during the class.
What should I bring with me?
We recommend bringing the following to your sup yoga class:
- A bottle of water
- Summer wetsuit (if you have one, if not we can give you one)
If you have a waterproof camera bring it along to capture some great pics too.
What time should I arrive?
It would be great if you can arrive at least 10 minutes before the SUP yoga class is due to start to get changed and ready before the class begins.
What happens if the weather is bad?
A little bit of rain won’t stop us but if there are severe inclement weather conditions and it is not safe for the class to go ahead we will notify you via text message to the number provided on booking. please make sure we have the correct contact mobile number, if this changes email firstname.lastname@example.org to update your information. We will give you as much notice as possible. If we do have to cancel you will have the option to transfer your booking to another class or receive a full refund. We aren’t able to offer compensation for travel expenses or other costs outside of the class payment.
I can’t come to a SUP Yoga class right now but I would love to try it in the future, how can I stay up to date on what’s happening?
Sign up to our newsletter! You’ll receive a weekly email with health and well being inspiration, free yoga classes, recipes and lots more as well as details of all our classes. Use the box at the very top of the page to sign up now before you forget and miss out on all that awesome info!
This would make the most amazing activity for my hen do/ birthday/special occasion/team building can I book a private group class?
Yes we always have so much fun arranging bespoke group SUP Yoga classes for you. We can arrange special group events as well as private one to one and small group SUP Yoga sessions. Just email email@example.com and she’ll let you know all the details.
We bet you know someone who you think would love to try SUP Yoga! Share this page with them now using the ‘sharing is caring’ buttons below.